It’s Not the Deficit, It’s Jobs

Posted on July 25, 2011. Filed under: Uncategorized | Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , |

If you have been reading us faithfully then you know that our mantra has been – job creation is priority number one.

Clearly, the rest of America agrees with us. A new Gallup poll, which was released last week, indicated that voters list the economy and unemployment/jobs as the nation’s top problems, with deficit/debt reduction running a distant third.

When asked to respond to the question: What do you think is the most important problem facing this country today?—31 percent of Americans indicated that it is the economy in general with an additional 27 percent specifically citing unemployment and jobs. That’s a total of 58 percent who see the economy and unemployment/jobs as the country’s most pressing concerns. Only 16 percent of those surveyed said that the federal budget deficit/debt is America’s biggest problem.

Further, the Gallup poll indicated that the “percentage of Americans naming jobs as the top problem has been on the rise” since April, “increasing 8 percentage points” from 19 percent to 27 percent.

On the same day that the Gallup poll was released the U.S. Labor Department reported that the number of Americans filing for unemployment benefits had increased from 408,000 to 418,000 a week. What’s more, 30 percent of America’s jobless—4.4 million people—have been out of work for more than a year.

The ugly truth is that U.S. employers only managed to create 18,000 jobs in June at a time when unemployment stands at 9.2 percent and more than 14 million Americans are jobless.

Despite those appalling numbers our lawmaker’s are spending all their energy battling over raising the debt limit, something that had, in the past, been done almost routinely.

Clearly, Congress and the Obama Administration have strayed away from the one issue the majority of American’s care about—JOBS. When all of the political posturing is finally done and both sides are patting themselves on the back for “averting a crisis” by crafting a deal to raise the debt ceiling, American’s are still going to be asking what they have been asking all along—Where are the jobs?

Turner GPA is one of the premier, highly respected government and public affairs firms in the nation. Turner’s state-of-the-art advocacy has earned them respect and acclaim from the media, clients, policymakers and even their competitors! Turner advocates on behalf of cutting edge businesses, municipalities, and non-profits that wish to ensure their perspectives and needs are taken into account in Washington, in state capitols and in City Hall, as well as in the media. The firm creates and implements intensely focused and targeted advocacy campaigns designed to meet and exceed its client’s expectations and goals. For more information on Turner GPA, visit www.turnergpa.com or call 202-466-2511.

Add to Technorati Favorites


Digg!

submit to reddit

Advertisements

Make a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Liked it here?
Why not try sites on the blogroll...

%d bloggers like this: